Have A Meeting With Voodoo

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Appossible, Jan 4, 2018.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Lololol. Ive been steadily building my traffic and trying to find a way to utilize them for downloads. Its tricky. I get like 6 million views on a random news video but hardly nothing when i post a game. So learning to self publish the right way is the goal.

2. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

FYI, one more important thing to add here.... most of these custom builds we create (like the one for Ketchapp) have their proprietary SDK installed with the changes they request. We legally couldn't distribute that even if we wanted too. ANY TIME we can "steal" something we add in for a publisher (new SDK, etc) and put it into the game software, we always do it. It would be crazy not too, but often times what they want will not work with the current setup, so it's a totally custom, non-customizable (in the software) situation. We literally edit BBplayer in these instances.

3. bmsingha

bmsingha Serious Boxer

Thanks so much @TreySmith , sounds exciting,

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I agree and I’m not taking that away from people’s success.

A tutorial would just be handy for people who would like to opt into common open-source SDKs and not release with a Publisher.

JEO147 likes this.
  5. theperto

theperto Boxer

Could I have a few questions about that?
    - Does it happen to every game submitted or do they select certain ones that they consider good enough to proceed with testing?
    - How much should the game be complete for that kind of test? Sounds, high score, multiple characters, etc.? By releasing the game to the app stores makes the game available to anyone, so players will play a prototype / not completed version? Or will there be selected players?
    - How high the retention/KPIs should be to consider the game for publishing?

6. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

Hi guys please read my post for 1 minute :)
    Instead working with them and lets them milk us, and there contract is really not fair, is a slavery contract for 10 years i suggest something
    And please dont think so small and go with huge publisher who can rain penalties on you whenever they like, we can work together and figure it out together

Voodoo company is the biggest publisher at this time
    BUT we could learn from them !!!
    We know they are not doing Cross Promotion
    And we all know they are making ADS, according to them they check the best CPI they are can get
    They dont care about the game or see any potiental it just numbers for them guys
    retention and the best CPI they can get

What we all need is to unite to find where we see their biggest hits are promoted\advertised at and share
    Lets all of us share where we saw Voodoo Games ADS ! (facebook,instegram,applvovin,admob,unity ads and more )
    Then we will be able to learn from it

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

lol you just contradicted yourself. How can they not care about the game if they care about retention and cpi? Do you think a bad game will have good retention or low CPI?

volcank likes this.
  8. bioded

bioded Boxer

he said correctly, they do not care what kind of game, they need the dry facts of statistics indicators

9. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

lol i meant we all just stats for them, they wont help you make an hit if you dont have one at first place, they measure stats and if you have what they will need they will go with you, but if the stats will start be not that good even after they agree to publish your game, they can cut you out
    So guys if you are smart, i think we all earn more benefits if we will unite and learn how they are doing that and we can start at reverse engineer about their promotion ways, and if we all unite we can learn from it my brothers

10. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

Also because of that, they are back almost to everybody and give them contracts they have nothing too loose , and between we all fed them ideas, which all their business plan is too copycat and make minor changes lol they even said it on their site :)

11. Danlespect

Danlespect Avid Boxer

- It doesn't happen to every game submitted . I sent two, it happened for only one for me.
    - It's recommended to polish a game before sending it to publishers, then it's better if the game if complete. But Voodoo can publish your game if it has great potential, even if it's not complete/ unfinished (they did it, recently).
    - Higher the retention/KPIs is, better it is for Voodoo. They want ultra addictive games, just as the games by "MonkeyFood" are.

12. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Let's just clear something up here. You continue to post nonsense about Voodoo and their 'slave' contract. If someone manages to get just ONE game published, even for a single month - they will get around $100k. If the game does really well and is published longer - thats $100kx9 months plus any bonuses for being in the Top 50/25.

I'd rather be a 'slave' for that kind of money than the majority of people working for under $10 an hour lining the pockets of some tycoon.

itzonator, AppNasty and bmsingha like this.
  13. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

yes i know all that , but you are sign for 10 years contract man !
    I dont care what they told us, they can sell their comapny change CEO they can penalty you if you are not do what they ask in mods updates more levels whatever they will ask !!! they claim it for only for game lifetime
    But knowledge that you signed for 10 years !!!! and they can try whatever they want add whatever they want in these 10 year time !
    And if you wont do that, whenever they want legally they can penalty you ! read more ppl what they are saying in reddit and why they arent signed, also i got the contract and also know all the infromation read all of it and you understand why it slavery

3.3.1 - here they can ask you for playstation xbox one and also whatever platform there will be !
    3.5.4 - here you get penalty of 50k and it not specify what this bug means !
    5.1.1\5.2.1 - 10 years they can ask whatever they want if you wont do that in 7 days (not business days ) then penalty

Yes bro they more or less they buy your service per game for 10 years, so maybe game will work for 1-3 year, but at year number 5 or 7 they will can give you a call, hey you know we want to revive and now we need you to do that and this we want it to be compitiable with ios 20 or android X whatever they will ask you have to do and it will cost you time to learn time to code, not speak if you will be in this business by this time, and also you wont get paid for it due the contract you get all your money after a 1 year

I will leave this treat here
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/co...l_for_a_publisher_to_ask_you_to_pay/?sort=new

So instead be a slave why wont we unite ?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    bojinciprian likes this.
  14. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hmmmm that's 1 million dollars (10x$100k) for a 10 years contract (if true, just citing others above me). Your maximum punishment would mean 100k per year or 8.33k per month. It would be a good payment even if you would be working daily on updates for the rest of your contract which we all know, won't happen at all. The lifespan is much shorter. And as soon as the lifespan is over, your contract is over as well. Really don't see what you are talking about. And unite for what? Doing what they are doing? You got to be more realistic mate, Ketchapp is trying to do it, NoodleCake is trying to do it, hell all publishers are trying to do it right now, in this very moment. Has somebody been capable of reaching the same results? Nope! Why? Because what they are doing is very difficult to achieve and needs literally, million of dollars to invest. Good luck with that. Or maybe, others aren't just that interested in this business model at all because there might be other ways of making even more money?

And @spicedbeangames has said this before, yes, you could make much more money with it, for example going with Ketchapp and having a real share of 30 or 40%, but we all know that these doors are pretty much closed. Wanna take a ride with Fortafy? Go ahead. And you could ask as well for a credit and/or find an investor, but you would still need the knowledge you don't have. And no, you don't have to work with Voodoo at all. You are free to do what you want. So I really don't get those people bitching about unfair treatment. That's just huge nonsense. Have you worked with the Voodoo guys? How do you know that they are not giving more than just taking shamelessly your game and take advantage of it? Did you have had a bad experience? Then please let us know, share it with us. But until then your talking is just bad attitude. My experience has been the opposite to be honest which is why I'm writing this post. But yes, going alone - if you can - is the best thing you can do. But how many indies do you know who have reached success by going alone? You know that Voodoo is a company of more than 20 people right? So good luck as well doing what you want to do by only yourself. Or yes, really unite with others, team up. What can you share from your site? Is everybody able to bring up money (what? lets say 100k each?) and then share your earnings. Oh and yes, you still need a very good game. Without it you can't do a damn thing. And will you pay the team-member who develops this hit game as well 1 million dollars extra?

I could go on and on, but your point of view just talks about your innocence. It sounds like you have no clue about the market at all. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    volcank likes this.
  15. spicedbeangames

Personally, it's worth the pay off. My tip is - don't like it, don't sign it. I signed up before Christmas and Voodoo are VERY clear about penalty payments and what is expected from you. It's common sense at the end of the day. If you make a hit game, they expect you to support it - which any decent developer would do anyway.

16. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

No contract not finish after lifespan here you are mistake and mitaken others
    Contraxt is for 10 years, they can ask whatever they want
    Also about penalty its 50K for any major bug who dont been fixed in 48hours
    And 1K for any ipdate who not delivered in specific time, and the update is whatever they ask when they ask, so if you are at vacation for example and they ask something you fucked and it for 10 years
    Dont look at the side of if they reasonable or not
    You guys sign contract for 10 years and legaly they can ask the above
    Contract is not a child play my brothers, if you sign you have to do what contract says and not come up to yours conclusion and try to think the other side care or has reasonable thoughts and that they care for you
    10 years you sign 10 years they can make you work !!!

17. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

Lol i have a lot of knowledge about the market and i did make some hits (local countries)
    Voodoo is more about 50 ppl but they all work at marketing, it not that hard to do what they do, we just need to know where they are placing ads, but small thinking minds will keep make other rich i guess, you right lets keep all of us feed the monster

18. theperto

theperto Boxer

Could you explain why those doors are closed? And what about Fortafy? They had only a 2 year contract with David, much less than 10.
    Apart from Voodoo what other publishers could be considered for ultra casual games? Ketchapp, Appsolute Games, ...?
    Does anyone know about the conditions of those contracts? (contract lifetime / penalties / how to deliver updates, fixes / etc.)

19. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

what hit games did you make?

20. spicedbeangames

Time to place you on ignore, as you are talking out of your arse. And making another account just to try and back up what you are saying is pretty sad.

justforward and Christoph like this.