Xcode 9.0 Released.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AndyG, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Xcode 9.0 is now available.
    As always keep the previous version also in case the new version is not compatible at this time with BB.

trudnai and adrogdesigns like this.
  2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

All good. Did a build to iPhone+iPad via Xcode 9 and all worked smoothly :)

3. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

that sound great what the new changes that were brought to x9

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

5. dan_counsell

dan_counsell Avid Boxer

Just to confirm, I also managed to build with High Sierra and Xcode 9. Haven't tried submitting to iTunes Connect yet though…

adrogdesigns likes this.
  6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Now updating Sierra :D

But regarding iTunes Connet, if there were any problems, you could always export to ipa from xCode 9 and open Application Loader from 8 or 9 and upload it that way.

I had to start doing this coming from xCode 7 a few months back.

adrogdesigns likes this.
  7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thanks! It is quite fun!
    Btw first I tried to find your game by searching its name. Weird thing is that when I typed "uppy" the auto correction on the App Store app came out with "uppy!", however, when I tapped on Search, I could not find your game. With or without the exclamation mark... It is weird because after that I have managed to find your app by searching on "SpringApp Technologies Inc", and it run perfectly on iOS 11 (so that is not an issue -- just saying, because all 32 bit apps disappeared if you browse AppStore with an updated device, but yours is fine as it would not even run on that and in fact would not even shown up if I look up all of your apps...)
    Anyways, just wanted to let you know, not sure why is that.

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Just a caution, if you use Xcode 9 then it will probably bypass any compatibility mode for iPhone 8 and iPhone X and has a possibility of not working 100% as it should. It's still safer using Xcode 8 for the short term then you don't need to worry right away as any compatibility mode will be intact and working. Of course, testing with Xcode 9 never hurts and as long as you are aware of any short-term issues.

As usual, you can expect the full official support of Xcode 9 and the other new Apple software around the new year. Until then Xcode 8 will still be compatible with the new devices and iOS update with no foreseen issues.

I should note that you won't be able to test iPhone X directly connected to Xcode 8, you will need to use Testflight or Diawi to install the app. Also, if you update all your test devices to iOS 11 then you won't be able to connect them to Xcode 8 for testing either.

Sean Buildbox and AaroArts like this.
  9. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Just did a search on my iPad for uppy + Uppy! and popped up straight away on 2nd row!

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

As always, you can download the latest version of Xcode here:
    https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

Or as well download from the same location Xcode 8.3.3 in case the App Store automatically updated your previous version. Then just copy it again to your applications folder specifying the version 8.3.3 so it won't get updated automatically again. :) Now you should have one that says Xcode and another one that says Xcode 8.3.3.

If you want to use Xcode 8.3.3 to run your app on your iOS 11 device, just go to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport (that's the new version 9.0) and copy the iOS 11 folder to the same location of your Xcode 8.3.3.app. Now you can use it like before but with iOS 11 devices.

AaroArts and wcgames like this.
  11. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I just rename my old Xcode in the Applications folder to say "Xcode old" and it installs the latest as a fresh and separate Xcode :)

Christoph likes this.
  12. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hmm super weird! I have checked again, this time with an iPhone 5 running the latest iOS (it did not get the 11, but there was an update at the same time, 8.3.3). Could it be something to do with geo location? I am in California

13. beardedrobotgames

beardedrobotgames Boxer

Anyone else having trouble with Heyzap on XCode 9 and ios11? All of my ad providers are not working for me except for the Heyzap exchange.

14. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

In Vancouver, Canada here @trudnai. Maybe Uppy! is afraid of the President :rolleyes:

trudnai likes this.
  15. beardedrobotgames

beardedrobotgames Boxer

Heyzap Solution: Had to redownload and install XCode 8.3.3 along side XCode9 and set heyzap up with 8.3.3. But you can't test ios11 with that version of XCode. So switch back over to XCode 9 to test and export to itunesconnect.

16. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hehe, maybe :) My grandparents were in Calgary, so tempting to ask refugee status there :)

17. mmicoe

mmicoe Avid Boxer

hi all,
    I uploaded an ipa to AppStore using Xcode 9:
    Ipa upload fine but after 5 minutes it is removed from the binaries!
    After I get this e-mail from Apple Team:
    Dear developer,
    We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for "MyGAME". To process your delivery, the following issues must be corrected:

Missing Info.plist value - A value for the Info.plist key CFBundleIconName is missing in the bundle 'com.ios.mygame.com Apps that provide icons in the asset catalog must also provide this Info.plist key. For more information see http://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev10510b1f7.
    Once these issues have been corrected, you can then redeliver the corrected binary.
    Regards,
    The App Store team

yes, Xcode 9 use Asset catalogs and the project structure is not the same.
    Two solutions:
    1. use Xcode < 9
    2. Create in the Buildbox project with Xcode the Asset catalogs structure...new icon resources...
    I hope Buildbox team solve this issue using Xcode 9 soon...

All the best,
    Mauro

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

If you want smooth sailing during this transition from Xcode 8 to Xcode 9 just continue to use Xcode 8.

If you use Xcode 9 you will have to deal with Apple bugs in Xcode 9 and iOS 11 SDK and Buildbox issues. Many of which are unknown at this time. Even if everything seems to work fine you are still at high risk of having issues at some point.

This is the same story every year without fail. If you wait a few months the transition will be much easier. Trust me, I've been through this every year for the past 6 years with Apple. There are hardly any disadvantages in waiting, the advantages are great. I always wait as long as possible before updating my production tools for game development.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  19. mmicoe

mmicoe Avid Boxer

Hi Andy,
    yes, I am installing Xcode 8.3.3 ... I do not want to have problems...

Thank you very much!
    All the best!
    Mauro