Navigation Button Forced On Press?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Snow, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Snow

Snow Boxer

Ok, so here is what I want to do: I want to press a button and make the UI screen animation play the "close" sequence, WITHOUT RELEASING MY FINGER.

I know you can make your game change UI screens ON PRESS, simply by using action button with "action forced on press", then using an action with coins, points, distance or whatever you are not using in your game, and then set an event observer to "detect" these coins/points and take you to a different UI screen.

HOWEVER, what I want to do here is a bit different. I want to simply touch the screen and WITHOUT RELEASING MY FINGER, the UI Screen to play the "close" sequence animation, without taking the player to a different UI screen.

The way to do this is just by NOT directing the output to any other UI screen. HOWEVER, this doesnt work with "event observers" nor "Menu jumps", since for SOME REASON these need the output to be connected to a different world/UI screen to work.

The only way this can be achieved is by using a navigation button, and then NOT connecting the output of it anywhere. The issue here though, is that the navigation buttons only work when YOU RELEASE YOUR FINGER, and I dont want that.

So, can I do what I want to do here?

PS
    There is a reason I want this exact mechanic to work, it has nothing to do with visuals or anything like that. It's about the game's mechanics. That's why it's essential that TO NOT EXIT THAT UI SCREEN, just stay at the closing animation sequence.

Thank you in advance!

2. Snow

Snow Boxer

Oh come on, NOBODY?
    There's gotta be a way to force press a navigation button....

3. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

im a bit confused, hahahah .
    to much information and ideas. Not sure what you want , you want to touch the screen and the animation close to play but go nowhere.?
    i would just duplicate the UI, and go to the new UI with it looking like you want it to look.
    So have the UI play the closing sequence on touch, when it goes to the new UI you have it made to look like its still closed.?
    I don't know, confused.

4. Snow

Snow Boxer

First of all thanks for taking the time to read through the mess I wrote and trying to help, I appreciate that.

I know it sounds a bit confusing, and if I tried to explain exactly why I want this mechanic to work EXACTLY as I want it, it would take me days.

Anyway I will try to explain what I want a bit more thoroughly, so that people will understand and if anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

Sooooo, what I want to do: Lets say the player is at a UI screen. What he sees is basically the opening and then idle animation that you set for that UI screen. Then, he places his finger on screen, and WITHOUT releasing it, the screen plays the "close" animation and it stays at that "close" animation. I know I can achieve this by tapping a navigation button whose output doesn't lead anywhere. HOWEVER, in order to achieve that you need to RELEASE your finger in order for the navigation button to work.

Basically what I am looking for is a way to ACTIVATE A NAVIGATION BUTTON WITHOUT RELEASING YOUR FINGER FROM THE SCREEN.

What you proposed can be done, but it's not what I want. Basically my "close" animation will move buttons in a way that is essential for the game mechanics to work, but that HAS to be done ONLY AFTER the player has put AND NOT RELEASED a finger on the screen.
    It has NOTHING TO DO WITH VISUALS (so the duplicate UI screen is of no use here).

Also if the finger is pressed on a joystick, and then the UI screen changes, even if it is the same, with a joystick etc, it wont work UNLESS the player RELEASES their finger and tapping again.

So it is important that the UI screen remains the same.

I know it sounds confusing, I hope I have explained it a bit better now...

If anyone could help it would be life saving!

5. Snow

Snow Boxer

Anyone have any ideas?

6. Snow

Snow Boxer

Ok, last shot... Anybody??

7. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

if I understood correctly what you want is to something to appear in the UI only when you are pressing the screen right?
    Maybe what you are trying to achieve can be done with an action that has the animation of the UI you want to create and then place that animation in the UI screen, so when the player presses that area in the screen the animation from the action appears. (it will need a lot of tweaking to make it work - but I believe it can be done) - I am not at home at the moment to test if what I am saying is true, but I believe it is achievable.
    Anyway, I am sorry if this is not what you are asking.. I got a bit lost reading the original post.
    good luck!

8. Snow

Snow Boxer

Well, not exactly. As I stated a couple of times this HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH VISUALS. What I want basically is a BUTTON to appear in the UI, but ONLY AFTER I press my finger AND WITHOUT RELEASING IT. This is essential for my game's mechanics to work.

Basically this is exactly what I want to do in my game:

Imagine there is a character which you move Horizontally with a joystick, exactly like "Line zen".

But I also want the character to shoot bullets by using a SECOND FINGER on the screen.

After ALOT of trial and error, I found that the only way I can achieve this is by doing this: The animation of the UI (Im talking about buttons here) goes like this: Initially there is only the "joystick button", which is covering the whole screen, and then after some time, a new button makes its way in, the shooting button, which also covers the whole screen(this is set up by me, in the UI animation). Note that the shooting button is set to "block touch through".
    Now this ONLY works if the player presses their finger BEFORE the shooting button makes its way in the UI. If, for some reason they decide to not press their finger on the screen for lets say 1 second, then when they press their finger they can only shoot, because the shooting button made its way in. Maybe you will ask, why not give them more time? Because, if I make the shooting button delay like 5 seconds, and the user decides to shoot on the first second, they will not be able to. So Basically what I want ideally is this: When the player presses their first finger on the screen, then immediately the shooting button will make its way in. If anyone has any solution for that, you will be saving me a lot of time here....

I know it sounds confusing, and that is why I didnt want to explain it earlier so extensively, but since people seem to keep asking.....I just hope you guys read carefully before responding. Not that I don't appreciate your effort and time!

Now, some clarifications: The reason that I want the shooting button to enter the UI AFTER I HAVE PRESSED MY FIRST FINGER, is because if the shooting button is there from the beginning, when I press my finger to control the character, the shooting button will be activated as well, which totally ruins my mechanics. Even if I find a way to make the shooting button not shoot the first time it is pressed, my second finger wont be able to activate it because the button will be pressed by my first finger, which controls the character and must not be released.

But what I found after a lot of tries is that, if you have your finger pressed and control the character, and then the shooting button slides in, it won't be activated by that FIRST finger, and thats exactly what I want. And even better, it can be ONLY activated by a second finger, which is basically 100% what I want to do.
    The only problem is as I have stated, the timing. Right now I have the shooting button enter the UI at a fixed frame, but it's not good enough, because, as I said eralier, if the player decides to NOT press their first finger until that time, then nothing works.

So basically I want the shooting button to make its way in ONLY after I have pressed my FIRST finger. I figured that the easiest way to do that is by putting that shoot button on the "closing" animation of the UI, and putting another navigation button on the screen, whose output doesn't lead anywhere, so when I press that button, it will activate the "closing animation", which will bring the shooting button in the screen. HOWEVER, navigation buttons only work when RELEASED, which means I can't do it. And I am stuck. I can't think of anything else, and that's why I am here, asking for advice.

And that is why I am asking if there is a way to ACTIVATE A NAVIGATION BUTTON ON PRESS AND NOT ON RELEASE. That is what I wanted to figure out without needing to explain aaaaaaaalll of the above to you...

But now that I have, I hope that someone will have a solution for me!

9. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Look man, what you are trying to explain is just not as easy to understand and it just takes time for others to understand,
    if you want people to understand you better maybe you should provide a BBDOC as an example or maybe some images.. there is no need to get upset because we do not understand what you are trying to explain by just using text..
    Anyway,

I made a quick bbdoc in which you jump from UI to UI by pressing a button during gameplay. maybe you can tweak this and adjust it as you want it to be.

I hope this helps,
    Cheers
    Jonathan

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxWP2SOEw49Kdk56WmcyTmtTRjA/view

Snow likes this.
  10. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

That can't be done, the navigation button only takes you to another UI after is released. BUT you could add a delay to the fire you can make it work.. sorry man I have been thinking of a solution since I first read this post and couldn't figure anything out.. maybe what you are trying to achieve can't be done on BB2.0 so you might want to change a bit your gameplay

Snow likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Boxer

First of all, I know it sounds confusing. I know. I didnt even want to explain aaaaaall that mess....

And that is why I reduced it to this simple thing: How to make a navigation button work on press, and not on release of your finger.

I apologize if I sound upset and I get that you want to help, and I appreciate it. The reason I got somewhat upset I guess is because I wanted a certain mechanic to work : make a navigation button work immediately on press (not on release), and then people went around to guess exactly what I wanted. And that is why I tried to explain exactly what I wanted. I really did. But I didnt want to, exactly because I knew that people were going to feel UNNECESSARILY confused.

Now, I appreciate that you took time to make a bbdoc for me, and I appreciate that you took the time to help. And yes, after a week of no results, I have also come to the conclusion that this can't be done... It's disappointing because I tried every other way to make my game's mechanics exactly as I want, and this seemed like the only way...I just couldnt figure this missing piece, to activate a navigation button on press... and yeah, it cant be done...

Maybe I will try something different, maybe I will make it work in a different way...

Anyway thanks for your time man, and again sorry if I gave the impression that I was upset. I really appreciate people's help, and the last thing I wanted to do is make the people that are trying to help me feel bad and unappreciated...

Benfont likes this.
  12. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

no worries man, I know the frustration.. sometimes you just have to let it go and find a different gameplay style for your game - that is the price to pay when you use a code-less framework.. anyway I believe BB is amazing and there is always a workaround that suits the game.. think about implementing the fire action without a button, maybe you come with a clever solution like a power up, or something else..
    sorry I couldn't help in the end,
    good luck with your game!
    Cheers
    Jonathan