"Block it"

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by kodagames, May 22, 2016.

1. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

So I stumbled across what I think is a pretty awesome game called "block it" of course by ketchapp and was curious how I would go about to making the bottom bar appear and disappear for my player to go through or not go through. Here is a video:

I think the part where Im kind of lost with is how to make the bar at the bottom appear when I click the screen, which doesn't seem too difficult but this is the tough part how would I make it disappear when the players finger is off the button so that it passes through and call game over.

Id really appreciate any insights or thoughts on how to go about this, it may not be possible but Im doing my best to figure out a way but could also use some amazing forum help to try solve it as well.

Thank You

2. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I wonder if you can put your character off the screen below the pink where nobody can see it. Make it sit on a platform. Add jump settings that would make it jump only as high as the dashed line, only single jump and adjust to make it jump very fast. This would mean that your character is the line, not the ball. I'm not sure that logic makes sense but maybe it could work. Good luck.

Jamie likes this.
  3. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Greatly Appreciated! @colette_levesque
    Thats a good idea.
    Oh.. Just had a though? Im going to try and put a portal there so that when the player is not there the ball will fall into an enemy. Ok maybe not I confused myself I don't think an object can be killed by an enemy? otherwise I think it would work.

I like the Jump idea and am going back to the drawing board to try some other ideas, again thanks for the input it really does help :)

Sincerely,
    Michael

colette_levesque likes this.
  4. DingDong118

DingDong118 Boxer

In the end, did anyone ever figure out how to create that disappear, reappear bar posted in the original question?

5. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

I'm curious about the bouncing of the ball. I've tried to recreate that and came up short handed

6. DingDong118

DingDong118 Boxer

Likewise, I created this to recreate that disappearing / appearing bar, but I don't know, maybe I'm going in the wrong direction here.
    What I did:
    1. Zero out the character opacity
    2. Used spawning bullets with autohide to create that disappearing / appearing bar effect.
    3. Used an enemy to try to simulate a similar gameplay.

Problems:
    1. The bullets only hides. It's still there after you click on it once.
    2. Can't figure out how to increase speed of the enemy bullet
    3. Haven't figured out how to sync blocking the ball with adding one point to the total score.

Attached Files:

7. DingDong118

DingDong118 Boxer

If anyone else figures out some sort of hints to how Block It was created, please do share with the rest of us newbies.

8. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

One solution :
    The spawn bullet passes through a transform that gives it very,very low speed, like 0.something . And after 1 second the bullet touches another transform that changes position. That was it stays on the screen for 1 second and after that it will teleport outside of the screen in del threshold

9. DingDong118

DingDong118 Boxer

One other problem I forget to mention.

The bullet isn't fading fast enough.
    It takes 3 second just for the fading to take effect.

The bullet needs to appear, then disappear within a spam of 0.5 seconds, to have the same feel as

10. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

pretty easy drop mage of the bar that you want it to disappear and appear again added an advance move give an object animation and make it spawn give it a big number. create a button to control the bar, so you can start from here iam not sure if its going to work but you got the idea

11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Ive made a little BB template and have it like breakout etc. Ball bounces everywhere and you try to stop it from passing. All i need to do is figure out how to make it so when enemy ball passes you, it ends game. I have that one kids Tower Defense template where he has it setup when an enemy touches a specific area, game ends. But for the life of me i cant figure out how it works lol. However, i have the game setup to move player back and forth to block ball. Not appear a wall like in Block It.

Heres my bbdoc.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sisol3sskuo8c06/Block It.bbdoc?dl=0

12. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

you just make it so when the ball touches something past that line, it kills something... inside the death animation of that object, have 0 opacity enemy that covers the whole screen and kills the player... end of level.

AppNasty likes this.
  13. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

You lost me lol. If i made an enemy that covers whole screen with zero opacity, it would kill me instantly. How would i activate said enemy to only kill me IF ball makes it past player?

14. Heeth21

Heeth21 Boxer

Ok so it should go like this.

That "bottom bar" is an object which lies at the bottom of the screen.
    Add 2 advanced moves in "bottom bar".

Advanced Move 1 : Linear Velocity in Y Axis = 1000
    Activated on button click

Advanced Move 2 : Linear Velocity in Y Axis = -1000
    Activated on button release

Note: Both the advanced moves have the same button i.e one button will control both the advanced moves.

So when the user clicks on the screen, the object will move up at speed of 1000 and then the user releases the button, it will move down at the speed of 1000.

Now when we click the screen, the object will move. But that animation of the object moving up and down should not be seen. So for this, we will use an image to cover that area where the object moves so it will look as if the object is teleporting and not moving.

You can use the "character" instead of the object for "bottom bar" using the same process.

But I am unable to understand how can the rest of the game be made.
    Can anybody please explain it? :)