Action Spawn?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Snow, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Snow

Snow Boxer

Hey guys, I am really hoping that someone around here can help me with this.
    I tried everything but it just seems that spawning actions in game is impossible. The problem is that my character is supposed to be stationary, while enemies and actions are moving towards it, so I can shoot the enemies and let the actions pass, which will give me points. For the enemies, it was pretty simple : spawner.
    But actions do not have a spawner component, so I had to think differently. I thought that I could connect the action to an object(invisible), and then create a path which would guide the object(along with the action) into a portal, and I would have set two "exit portals", one at the beginning of the path and one exactly where I needed it to start moving towards the character(maybe guiding it with a path too, but irrelevant). bbexamplethread.png But once again, it just seems that I am out of luck, since objects do not interact with the portal at all. I dont know if I am doing something wrong, but the gatekeeper works fine for objects, as well as transform logic pieces. Is it only the portal which ONLY interacts with the character and NOTHING else?
    And if that is the case, is there another way to make actions spawn in a game? Please do not respond if your answer is to change the way my game works, or to have many actions in the first place in the game. NO. I want a way to make actions SPAWN. I dont mind how complicated its gonna be, but PLEASE, tell me if you know a way.
    Thank you for your time

2. telerebor

telerebor Avid Boxer

Try placing the action into your object default animation (this can be done by copying an action from the game scene and pasting it in the default animation). Ir you can place it in the death scene so the action appears when the object is hot.

Snow likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Boxer

Well, now I feel like the answer was so simple and yet I couldn't figure it out. But THANK YOU, you are a lifesaver my friend. You saved me from hours of trouble.

telerebor likes this.
  4. telerebor

telerebor Avid Boxer

No problem buddy ;)

5. Snow

Snow Boxer

Well, one more thing I realized just now. When the object (with the action in its default animation) hits the character, the action seems to have permanent effect, (in my case invincibility) even though I set it to last only 0.01 seconds. The duration is fine when I use the original action by itself, but when I use it with the object method you described, it seems to be permanent. I don't know why this is happening, but is there a way to fix it? I tried using a second action set to "coin" with zero values, with a smaller collision shape than the other action and placed it in the middle of the object's default animation so I could neutralize the other one, but with no luck. Any ideas my friend?

6. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Hey I'm having the same issue, the action keeps acting weird and has a permanent effect when inside an object's default animation. Did you figure out a solution? Let me know @Snow

7. Snow

Snow Boxer

Hey @Selasu, I am actually glad someone ran into the same problems as me.. At least now I know I am not the only one to have had this issue!

First of all, please post a picture with a few discriptive details so that I get to know what exactly you want to do.
    I mean, the whole swipe board preset, how is it structured? Are there any portals involved, gatekeepers, do you move toward the enemies, or do they move toward you?
    This preset is introduced in bb 2.2.8 but I haven't updated yet because I am building a game in a previous version, and, oh well, sometimes updating can mess the game!

Sorry I am not able to help you right now, I just need more details. I think it would be way more time consuming if I "kinda" guessed what you meant and "kinda" explain a solution to you

Give some specifics on what you are trying to do and I guarantee I will help you!

Second, if all you want is to set up a spawner of an action to be a coin, then yes, all you have to do is copy the action from the scene, then go at your object's default animation, delete what's in there and paste the action. You then need to set the object as a decoration and that's it, then you set your spawner settings. (I have found this to work only when the action works as a coin/point, it doesn't work if it is set as a gameplay action, I don't know why, maybe it was a bug that got fixed after some time, I haven't tested it since then)

Keep in mind that the action's settings (Directly below Action animation of the action's panel on the right) must be set to Action animation placement : "Powerup", then "Replace", then "single play". I believe that will fix the issue of multiple points adding up.

If that doesn't work( it's been a long time but I think that is what worked for me), a few more details might allow me to give you another workaround (We are here to help)

Please check my game "into the core" and see if that is what you are trying to do with actions ( I made the game a long time ago and left it there, I knew it would come in handy one day! lol) It is only on play store though, so I hope you have an android device lying around

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rectanglegames.intothecore

Have a great day, I am expecting to hear from you soon

Selasu and Christoph like this.
  8. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Thanks @Snow for your long response!

So in the Swipe Board preset you basically have a 3x3 grid and your character can only move within the grid, so you are always inside the same scene. Enemies are coming at you from different sides, and the character is supposed to avoid them. The problem is you always stay within the same scene, and to make it an infinite playing kind of game you need a scoring system. So, I tried a spawning a decoration object every 1 second with the action copied inside the default animation of the object. Then i started getting the same issues as you, the action started acting weird, jumping numbers.

The action settings are already set to Powerup and Replace, but I cannot find the "Single Play" option, if you refer to the animation loop there's only 1 frame, so it can't loop anyways. Where do I find the Single Play option?

I also made a thread specifically for this, in which i described it in there too.
    https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/swipe-board-point-system.8468/#post-44732

Also, I don't have an android device but if you have a trailer I'd love to see the gameplay somehow, looks creative! :)

... while I was writing this reply it miraculously started working. I think it may have had something to do with the collision shape of the action within the object. Either way i have no explanation for why it was jumping numbers before...

Attached Files:

9. Snow

Snow Boxer

Hmm... well that was unexpected, either way I am happy your problem is resolved

Oh that is a very nice concept for a game. Very helpful when it comes to learning tricks, after all that's how you gain experience and get good at making buildbox games, which is very important.

HOWEVER, if you intend on making a game from which you wish to profit with this concept, I must warn you that there is already an identical game out there, called "smove", published by "simple machine". It was a great hit, but I am just letting you know this is not exactly an entirely original idea. I don't mean to discourage you, on the contrary, I just wanted to inform you so you don't spend days creating a clone of a game you didn't know that existed (or maybe you do, I can't be sure of this)

I am telling you this, because I like seeing people using buildbox this way, not trying to create a new platformer but rather stretching the program's mechanics in order to create new concepts. I know this is just a preset, but I appreciate the fact that you chose THIS one over more "mainstream" ones.

Either way I am happy to hear that your problem is solved, looking forward to see what you will come up with

Selasu and Christoph like this.
  10. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Haha i was certain it was based on another game! Yeah I always use these presets with a grain of salt... just use it for ideas an try to expand on the gameplay. It's a waste of time if you just copy the preset and don't add anything new to it. Thanks!

11. StartOverGaming

StartOverGaming Boxer

Thanks @telerebor for that answer. That just helped me!

12. niketanbalar21

niketanbalar21 Boxer

hello all, how can set score system and which one is best like coin ,point etc ,,,,in swipe board type game