Throwing In The Towel

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Pixelateddaddy, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Pixelateddaddy

Pixelateddaddy Boxer

so recently iv discovered that all the scaling iv done to my assets within BB has made it so I have way too many assets and now my game is garbage and has to be remade........

so.......

I took all the assets and scaled them down outside bb and then put them into a new game file and they look like trash...all fuzzy and pixelated........ why would you advertise that you can "easily scale objects with bb" but not tell anyone your game will crash and have too many atlases and be pretty much not workable? I have spent so much money on assets being made and for this software that its a true shame that I'm now having to quit because of stuff like this. all my game making motivation is gone and wasted all this time and money just to find out the scaling of assets will be the demise of my game.... please stop advertising such things without telling people they will not have a workable game.

2. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hmm, sounds like you were doing something wrong. Normally if you downscale images within BuildBox it might be better way to downscale that outside and use scale 1,1 instead. If you upscale it, that is not good in either way, it can be either blurred or pixelated depending on the algorithm used.

It sounds like to me that you were downscaling assets outside too much and then trying to upscale inside BB to get the size you wanted.

If you want to fully optimize your game, then you have to do it by checking the downscale you used for your object or character or whatever, and then downscale that image only outside, replace the image and then set object scale to 1,1.

Ok so BB is not helping on this that is for sure, so you have to do it one by one, plus maybe you use different object sizes for the same object/sprite. Maybe it would be better to downscale all images outsize to a big enough size, to roughly to the biggest size you would ever use. For example your artist gave you 1024x1024px assets and you downscale them in between 0.2 - 0.1 in BB, then downscale all of them 10 204px (or 200px if you want something round) and the one that is at 0.2 downscale will be 1, and the one with 0.1 will be 0.5 ...

Christoph likes this.
  3. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, the community only wants to help.
    Please see the video of Trey where he advises advance step by step, and not take a big leap.
    Remember, the Moon was not reached with a single mission.

4. Pixelateddaddy

Pixelateddaddy Boxer

All my assets looked great when I scaled them down in BB. Makes zero sense that once I get everything looking how I want, now all of a sudden I have too many atlases for my game to run properly.

Christoph likes this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

How big is one sprite / image you use? (in average or a typical case). And how much did you downscale them? How many atlases you have?

Christoph likes this.
  6. Pixelateddaddy

Pixelateddaddy Boxer

My characters wer being down scaled from 1 to about .150

All my tiles are fine at 1

And I have 15 atlases

7. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

Have you tried using the tools removing unused level/image/sound/scenes/components and Optimizing and Rebuilding your atlas?
    Make a copy of you bbdoc before you try if you have not yet.

8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

So you have tried to downscale your character images to 0.15 with GIMP or Preview or Photoshop or what tool did you use? And then when you reimported those images and set character scale to 1 it become pixelized? Is that what you are saying?

9. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, I had a similar problem of "pixelized" in my image editing software.
    I have this menu:

Image2.jpg

I always choose "Smart Size"

10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Have you tried another method or software? I have never experienced pixelizing when downscaling.

11. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

That sounds like severe down scaling. Going from 1 to 0.15.

You need to edit (resize) them in an external application. to about 25% of whatever their original size was. Then import.

Also, you said you paid for these images. Did the designer provide you JPGs or EPS files? EPS files are vector based. My wife designs and she is very hesitant to ever give up original vector art work. For clients, she usually converts to raster (JPG) and gives that as an end product.

JPGs are raster bitmaps = don't scale either way very well, but down better than up.
    Vector EPS are vector based (math) = scale very well either way

Try reading up on raster versus vector. If you're putting 1000px by 1000px images into BB and then setting the scale to 0.15 by 0.15, you are effectively making the image 150px x 150px and wasting 850 x 850 or 722,500 pixels in the Atlas. Now multiply that by your total number of images. Very very wasteful.

Take a breath, read up on vector vs raster. Contact your designer and start over.

Edison said he didn't fail 1000 times. He found 1000 ways not to make a light bulb! Don't throw in the towel!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    blackswan and Christoph like this.
  12. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Make sure your graphics are the EXACT size your game requires. Trey/Andy has made this clear from the start.

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Wow, I didn't know that vector PNGs exist. Are you sure about that? I thought that PNG is like JPG or GIF. Always raster based. But with difference in how they compress and use color information.

That's a good one. If you realize that everything is a learning process in your life nothing will be useless.

14. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yeah PNG is raster based at my best knowledge. My guess is that @GTE Games meant PSD or AI or SVG or EPS -- Could you please confirm that?

15. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Pixelateddaddy

If you scaled an object down to .15, duplicate your image (so you have the original) and resize it to 15% of original size (.15), then bring it into buildbox.

1. Build an entire game without knowing how big to make your graphics by bringing them in and scaling them down to all work together
    2. Then resize them outside of bb to what you just scaled them to (for example .15 is 15%)
    3. Then delete the objects from the assets panel to the left
    4. Use the "remove unused objects" option in the edit menu (so the image you just deleted from the assets panel in is now removed from the atlas)
    5. Now bring in your correctly resized image
    6. Double check the collision shape
    7. optimize your atlas

you could also just make a new bbdoc if your first one is just a mock up for finding scale, but the above steps work at any point in the game's process, as you could just pull your new graphics into the default animation (or sprite editor) of each object, and then just change the scale on your objects in your scenes to 1:1

this is the work flow of finding scale inside your game..... You are not going to know how it all fits together otherwise.

Throwing in the towel is a misunderstanding of how you had to find your scale to make your game. It doesn't matter if it's almost finished, if you follow the above steps, you change everything in your game to be 1:1 as everyone is telling you, but this is how to actually get it done...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    playsgames6666 likes this.
  16. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Yes, I added confusion to an already confusing subject. :) Edited comment. I was thinking EPS.

trudnai and Christoph like this.
  17. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

This is one way of doing it. I prefer to design everything first in my favorite graphics program. I use artboards or frames with 1136x640 pixeles which is the resolution Buildbox uses. So I can already see how it will look like in Buildbox. This way I can freely scale up and down however I please. Once I like it, I revise all sizes, so if an object is 30.47x22.21 pixels then I would clean it up making it 30x22 pixels. At the end I export it in this exact size which gives me in Buildbox a 1:1 ratio. Just sometimes I have to change it to a scale of 1.1 or 0.9. And mostly I leave it like that as it's not recognizable.

Having a good idea of what you are doing is always the best thing you can do. If you scale down to 0.15 then you are throwing away 85% of your atlass space. This is plain and simple logic. Definitely not a good idea, not only in Buildbox but any other Game development tool as well. Not sure if it would be great if Buildbox had a resizer included which would do this automatically. It seems if it would do that then you completely missed the design part of your development. Buildbox is not a graphic program but a game development tool. Two very different kind of apps.

energizerlithium likes this.