Create Animations

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by croomraider, Jul 19, 2016.

1. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

I'm hoping to learn as much as possible about creating simple walking, combat, jumping animations for a platform game.

How can I create animations with the correct file type needed for BB? Does it need to be a .mov file or .mp4? How many frames can the file be? What resolution size?

Can someone point me to a tutorial if it exists?

I'd assume the videos need to be rendered a very certain way to achieve maximum file space within the game.
    I'm using After Effects, PP, Vue combined with handart from ipad drawing software to create animations.

Thanks for any help!

2. telerebor

telerebor Avid Boxer

Buildbox does not take video formats, only .png images and .mp3 files. To import an image you have to convert the frames to png files. You can import as many frames as you want but note that it would increase your number of atlases which would increase your game load time.

croomraider likes this.
  3. villyreality

villyreality Boxer

I can recommend Spriter Pro. it cost 55 euro on Steam but you can get it for 24 euro on g2play.net.

croomraider likes this.
  4. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

@telerebor do you know what size the PNG needs to be?

@villyreality is there a way to integrate Spriter into BB?

5. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

I don't know exactly is there an official tutorial or not but i found something in youtube. It doesn't explain everything but hope this will help you a little bit. :)

croomraider likes this.
  6. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

You just need to systematically align .png format photos and drag them to action animation field.
    (if someone knows better solution please write it.) :)

7. carlosabreu1981

carlosabreu1981 Boxer

no

8. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

@telerebor[/USER] do you know what size the PNG needs to be?[/QUOTE]

Hi, i don't think that there is an exact size. I prefer big size .png photos. Because if it will be too big , you can change its size by dragging from the corner of image, but if it will be small for the animation while making it bigger the quality of the image will be loosed. Thats why i think you should choose big sizes (not huge), then you can change it as you want. :)
    Hope this will be helpful.

9. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

@Nihat Muradzade

Thanks man! Would a transparent image (PNG) be considered huge at 1920x1080? I guess I should be working in square shapes and doing 1000 x 1000?

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

No! Don't use big images! EVER! Use the smallest image you can. Best is to work with a 1:1 ratio. Search the forum. There is plenty of information regarding how to handle images. If you use big images and resize them in Buildbox your game will have problems running on all devices.

croomraider likes this.
  11. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Christoph, thanks for information. Could you explain which problems? I didn't know that

12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

A Buildbox game loads all graphics from the current and the next scene into memory. The more and the bigger images you have the more memory and CPU is needed to process them. As simple as that. Add to this some light effects, portals, transforms, paths, a lot of small physics elements, etc and even your iPhone 6 Plus will explode while calculating all this stuff. Try to be good with the engine and save em the additional work which is not necessary. o_O

Nihat and croomraider like this.
  13. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

Thanks man!! All search around and post what I find. Based on what you said, I would imagine there is probably one definitive ratio that is best quality. I'll see what I can dig up.

14. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

A lot more really good information on this thread:
    https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/character-and-object-sizes.260/#post-1424

Christoph likes this.
  15. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

Does anyone know if there is a general rule of thumb on how many frames to make an animation?
    Or better phrased, is there a number of frames to NOT exceed? I assume file size issues will arise
    if the animation has too many frames.