Game is completely gone..

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by trygiimusic, Oct 31, 2015.

1. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

So I was finishing up my game, just adding some sounds.. and then suddenly my pc randomly shut down without any warning (for the first time). I wasn't that worried because just before the crash I saved my game.

I turned it on, opened the file, and I get an error saying ''no valid session found''.

Took me a full month of creating that game and now its gone, within 2 minutes. :(
    This is really horrible.. I now have to cancel the deal with my publisher.

I noticed that the buildbox project file is 1.35MB, does this mean I can somehow recover it? Need desperate help..

2. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

You might want to send the file to support to see if they can recover it. Its painful and that's why after I had a similar experience, I now save every small changes with a different filename until when project is completed, then I delete old versions.

3. shaunfal

shaunfal Boxer

Like @sysads says your best bet is to send the file to support@buildbox.com and they might be able to recover it. If they can't, go for it again! If you know you can do it, you'll probably reach the same level in half the time and probably looking better than before! Remember to back it up though. I'm 3 months into my game and keep it on an external drive. If you don't have one your best option would be DropBox - www.dropbox.com - so you can just store it online (im using that too). Im sure things will work out awesome either way! Keep us updated.

4. Simon Crack

Simon Crack Avid Boxer

+1 on Dropbox and or Time Machine - I know that does not help now. Hope you can recover the file or recreate swiftly!

5. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

This has happened to me before. Click on it again, it might show up. If it does and you try to save, it will ask you to name the file again. Weird bug.

6. yenomeerf

yenomeerf Boxer

What happens when you open recent projects and select the month old file?

7. aki_sharipov

aki_sharipov Boxer

I suggest using Github

8. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Hey I would love to use Github but can you help with a TUT on that. I have all my work on my office laptop and want to start moving everything off in-case I decide to quit and go full time :)

9. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Thanks everybody, i'll email support now.

@yenomeerf If I open recent projects (other projects/games), those projects will work. But if I open this current project I was working on while my pc shut down, then it gives me an error

10. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Just to update everyone, I decided to start all over again. It turns out, that this problem actually helped me make my game better :p
    Like @shaunfal said, it really looks much more better now (better positions of the objects and enemies etc.), and everything is also automatically optimized since I know what to do, what images and sounds I need to import and what not.

I may even do this on all my games o_O First build it and finish it, then start completely all over again. Yes it will take a lot of time, but you will definitely have a much, much better end product for your customers. :D

11. darone

darone Boxer

@trygiimusic , glad to hear you take the positive view of your problem :)

12. aki_sharipov

aki_sharipov Boxer

Yep, I did the same. The game became, actually, better. Whatever happens, happens for goodness.
    On top of it, I bought subscription from Github to have my game private. Commit every time, I change and save all new changes.