Buildbox Trial?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Archeia, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Archeia

Archeia Boxer

Hello, nice to meet you!
    I have been looking at Buildbox and I am extremely interested. But I cannot find a demo/trial anywhere on the site. I would like to create a JRPG game akin to Valykrie Profile and Mana Khemia with it. However, my internet searches and google-fu gave me very scarce results and I would like to ask if there's a trial version?

If none, am I able to write custom plugins or some sort in BuildBox and/or contribute to its UI should I want to create a tick based JRPG on it? I've been searching everywhere if there's a programming language involved or editor extension of some sort but came out empty handed.

Thank you for reading and your time. I hope everyone has a nice day. :)

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

3. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

Hi @Archeia

BuildBox is great game engine that can create casual mobile games, But i believe creating an jrpg game with it will rise the challenges too far, Think of it like IG Maker but with limited logic control and pre-defined templates.

Here some notes to take into your consideration:

1- You can't save game data/progress.
    2- No logic or AI, Making enemies sort of traps than an actual AI.
    3- No Variables creation, You only limited to what BuildBox give you already.
    4- Most games limited to templates, You can improve and change those templates but still it's quite challenging to beyond that.
    5- Source code only limited to back-end services, You also can re-skin some of the images, But you can't modify any codes from the buildbox.

Still, BuildBox differ than any other game engine because it's accessible to wider audiences whose are lacking in programing, Real developers may feel it's limited compared to other tools.

Archeia likes this.
  4. Archeia

Archeia Boxer

Thank you @Qdeveloper that definitely changes everything. It's a shame since everything looks super interesting. Thank you for the in-depth explanation. I very much appreciate it <3

Qdeveloper likes this.