Buildbox graphics guide?

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by andreas_kviby, Feb 24, 2016.

1. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

Is there a graphics guide so we can know what dimensions is best for backgrounds, assets and more. I am getting crazy with the need to scale backgrounds and then when it looks good in preview it is totally screwed up on device. I change width, height settings but even more screwed up. So how can I know whick background size we should use in landscape vs portrait modes?

Bean Bag likes this.
  2. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

As I understand it, the size you want is the size you use. So if a platform is 256x64, that's the size you make. You don't x2 or x4 and scale down.

Mike A. likes this.
  3. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

But if I choose to make a platform game and take all backgrounds and insert them as 1136x768 they don't fit in the Buildbox Editor and if I change it it's wrong on device. This has to be described somewhere as a best practice?

Bean Bag likes this.
  4. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

since my games are portrait, i create a bg dimension as 1156x2040. When you drop in the bg, you need to scale it to cover the screen.

Bean Bag likes this.
  5. Bean Bag

Bean Bag Boxer

andreas_kviby, how did the info above from sysads work out for you? I want to start making backgrounds too..

6. andreas_kviby

andreas_kviby Avid Boxer

Still believe a tutorial on youtube would help

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@maya.ho design your game for iPhone 5 resolution. Use a viewport of 1136x640 but allow some extra in the backgrounds for supporting the "fatter" tablet aspect ratios. So backgrounds of 1136x768 should cover all devices.