Jump One Tile Exactly

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by trudnai, Oct 13, 2015.

1. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey Guys,

I could not figure out how to make my character to jump exactly one tile on my game. Let's say the character is not force moved through the scene, but when you tap the screen it jumps exactly 1 tile. Would be even better if I could make jump 1 tile with let's say left hand button and 2 tiles with right hand button.

Right now I only can do approximation, but if there is a better way...

Think about games like Frogger (aka Crossy Roads) or Q*bert (aka Qubes), which btw both of them are made in Unity3D instead of Buildbox

2. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Any idea or suggestion on this? Maybe someone from Buildbox team please?

3. yenomeerf

yenomeerf Boxer

Have you tried Character Jump Force?

4. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

I'll be posting a video all about jump settings this week but for now try changing the jump timeout settings coupled with jump force settings for different results. smaller number for jump time out will get you more of the control you want.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  5. yenomeerf

yenomeerf Boxer

Also you can look at the timeout for character jump together with force settings. What I always get results from.

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thanks guys. Yes, with force and timeout you can get an approximation, but still that is a physics based simulation which may not the best for what I want. Physics cannot guarantee that the character or enemy will step or jump exactly 1 tile on a game at any given time. I will redesign the game so I can make it on BB.
    Thanks!

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Is that made on BB? So far many of the Ketchup titles that does this were using a different game engine, like Unity3D.

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yes, Laser is a BB game.

Sean Buildbox and trudnai like this.
  10. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

There is no "one tile" unit of measurement. Whether you are using an action-controlled movement, an automated movement, or a directly controlled movement, you have to set settings for the X and Y jump force values and the X and Y movement values. Other settings may also play a role, such as friction value, gravity value, etc. Also, you need to figure out your own specifics of what will constitute the measurements of "one tile" in your game. Your "tile measurements" may not match that of another game, just like your character size may not match that of another game.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thanks @Andy, this is what I am looking for. Jump direction is I guess made by an Action changing Game parameters but the tile precise jump is still a mystery for me. I will try to play a little bit more with the physics setting (force and friction and air drag) and see how close I can get to this. Thanks again!

12. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

@trudnai - did you ever get this figured out? I have it pretty close but as the game moves on the character slowly but surely starts to move out of sync - any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I can tell, there is no way of achieving this at present via the the physics route as camera and game speed will start to move things out of line, although it does seem to correct itself at points. As for laser etc, if you look closely the cubes do go out of line and are never exact, which works and you don't really notice, but my game kinda hangs on needing to be precise.

thanks :) And @seanjonathanconnor / @Andy - Is there anything specific in BB2 that would solve this? Been waiting to jump into BB2 and this would be a great incentive :p

13. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

@trudnai I have created a game with one tile movement few months ago here is a demo is you are looking for something similar to this then i may help you.

Taimoormalik8 likes this.
  14. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

@Taimoor Javaid - Thanks for that, but like @trudnai, the game we're working on is isometric, so it's not quite the same, but thanks for sharing :)

15. nthen778

nthen778 Boxer

I assume you're making some kind of game similar to Q*Bert. I'm making a game similar to that right now. Check it out.

Kevin W likes this.
  16. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Hey @nthen778 - yes and thanks, we're almost there apart from the few last tweaks - jumping on here has made me think a bit harder and try a few different things - getting there now - thanks for sharing :)

17. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hi @Kevin W, I have not figure that out yet as working on a different game right now. My original idea was to play with the physics: Jump settings gives you a proximation of the jump and then a full transparent object guides the character to its final location. This might be an action where the character hits the action, so the action plays an animation (all are non-seen objects of course). Action Animation then contains collision objects that make character to land at a specific location -- Disclaimer: these are only theories in my head, have not tried that out yet...

18. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Thanks @trudnai - I've pretty much got it working ok and think it may well be some moving platforms that are not quite exact that are throwing things off. I hadn't noticed this before so it confused the crap out of me :)

Jump force settings seem to work pretty good, it was the progressive slight movement that seemed to be the issue for me.

19. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

I would love to see the settings you guys finally came up with. Been working on an isometric style jumping game similar to Laser., etc. I wondering if I might need to transparent objects as guide to help.

20. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

Hey @Kevin W -- would mind posting any tricks or settings you used for your character movement. I've been trying to get the mechanics for something similar to Color Maze or Laser or Laser Cubes (Laser clone) ... jumping a tile or every other tile in a isometric style game... but I'm missing something. Thanks!