Pickup Displayed On Ui Screen

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by jnewc54, Apr 4, 2022.

1. jnewc54

jnewc54 Boxer

Hello, I'm new to Buildbox and I was hoping to get some help. I have a pickup item I need displayed on my UI screen after my character has picked it up during gameplay. Also, This item will be in my coin shop for purchase and I need it to be displayed on the UI screen after the player purchases it. I want the icon to be darkened and then be at full opacity when it's available for the player to use. I know there's a way to do this, but I can't find any info or tutorials on it. Any help would would be appreciated, thanks!

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Is this Buildbox 2 or 3? In both versions, the Unlock UI button is what you can use to control items/purchases in game. The locked part is for your locked image - so you can either use a padlock or darken the icon of the item, then when unlocked, drop in the same icon but without the darkened effect.

You can find out more about the shop/icons here -

3. jnewc54

jnewc54 Boxer

Thanks for the reply. I apologize, I need to be more clear. Thanks for the video by the way, this helps, but I need the three icons from the coin shop to be darkened on my UI in the game, and then after purchased have the icon(s) be at full opacity on the UI. I've attached a screenshot of a scene with my UI buttons. The gray icons (graphics haven't been created yet) at the bottom will be the coin shop items available. Darkened when not purchased and at full opacity after purchased and ready for the player/character to use in the game. Forgive me, this is all new to me...i'm a rookie still learning. thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Attached Files:

4. jnewc54

jnewc54 Boxer

and i'm using Buildbox 3....making a 2D platformer.

5. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

This is achievable but you will need to create a new UI button and use the send/receive nodes to switch the colours when the count hits zero uses.

Also, does the player press these buttons on the UI to activate the item? Or does it change the weapon on the current character?

6. jnewc54

jnewc54 Boxer

I was planning on making UI buttons for when the player wants to activate it. So, I'm thinking about having only 3 or 4 power ups....These power up icons will be displayed in the coin shop for purchase. These same power up icons would then be displayed on the UI screen for the user/player to push when they want to use it. All of them would be a one time, temporary use, i don't have to worry about a counter going to zero. (For example....for power ups, i'm going to have icons for a magnet, invincibility, and a temporary speed boost.). So if I set up my UI screen power ups to be the same as in the coin shop, all I have to do is set up send and receive nodes between the two screens?
    I also want the icons darkened or lower opacity on the UI until they are available for the player to use.
    Any tutorial videos i might find for this? thanks again for you help, I really appreciate it!