From Apple 4. 3 Design: Spam Over And Over

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by tonymartz2, Sep 14, 2021.

1. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

Good morning everyone,
    back in 2015 I made a nitched flappy bird like game that year to date got over a million downloads in total.
    I have done like no lie like 20 updates in the last 6 years, recently I made an update that included 4 mini games in the same app, same character but each mini endless game had a different game play picked from the BB templates mechanics, I simply changed all the scenes, artwork, the way to get coins in some cases spawning and so on. remember that its nitch game so some people would enjoy the topic or the story.

I send it to iTunes and wishing hours it was in review and 30 minutes lated rejected for 4.3 design spam.
    I looked up on here and someone said to change all the UI names and world name to be unique so I went and changed every single world and UI names and tried again....
    once again rejected.
    I have another game that uses the same character on IOS so i thought maybe its because of that game so I went and removed my other game and told them I had removed my other game for them to accept this one and one again rejected.

Apple has made it really difficult to publish a game now. I guess changing a redone template is not acceptable anymore...

HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS ARE DEALING WITH THIS?

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

I don't publish on Apple. There's too many layers of BS. I had an issue with one of my games a while back and I spent a month and each time they kept repeating 'design spam' - with a different excuse. My game was pretty unique in terms of game play and when you look at the app store today and see thousands of endless runners/clones, it just doesn't make sense.

Once the Apple reviewer sinks their teeth in, there's no point bothering. You could try requesting a call for clarity, but that just kicks the can down the road, because even then, they can and will continue to reject it.

tonymartz2 likes this.
  3. HG-2018

HG-2018 Avid Boxer

I have the same problem with all my games on iOS. I can't update all my games. I wrote any emails and nothing works. That's the reason why I don't release new games on iOS. You can release the game but after that you can't update it about guidelines 4.3 ...

I think the code is the problem. Apple think it's the same game ... A lot of people had this Problem.

4. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

yeah I think they don't even play or look at the game SMH

5. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

I wander if remove the game im trying to update and uploaded as a new game will this have a better chance... hummmmmm

6. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

but then users lose everything they have achieved or bought in your game.

7. HG-2018

HG-2018 Avid Boxer

But the problem is also known at Buildbox and the former head of Buildbox Trey Smith wanted to take care of it. Unfortunately, I never heard anything about it again and eventually gave up after countless objections, emails and phone calls with Apple and Buildbox.

8. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Most overcome this issue by re-submitting and appealing the decision. Unfortunately the 4.3 Apple Guidelines are something that are enforced fairly inconsistently in my experience, but creators do still submit and get past this annoying review rejection

spicedbeangames likes this.
  9. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

If it's another flappy type game or anything that already has been cloned/copied - Apple will just clamp down on it, regardless how much you make changes - they will continue to find new excuses. It's there way of saying 'we don't want it'.

I made a pole vaulting game and they kept rejecting it and I just gave up and didn't renew my Apple subscription, as I am not paying $100 a year for something I don't use. Once Apple sink their teeth into 'design spam', you are better off moving on to a new project or publish on google play.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  10. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

hey guys I just wanted to do a follow-up because this is simply iTunes BS.
    I tried to send my update 6 times and every time it came back with SPAM 4.3
    so I just gave up, I decided to F.... it and removed it from the market and uploaded the same build with a new name same screen shots and all just new app, new name... it went into review 4 hours later and 2 hours after that it was approved and ready for sale.
    soooo WTF.....

spicedbeangames likes this.
  11. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

This time it looked like something new for the algorithm and therefore it worked. So SPAM 4.3 reacts to renaming, and you can start with that if there are problems.