Our Latest Update From Buildbox Ceo, Jonathan Zweig

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Sean Buildbox, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

[​IMG]

Dear Buildbox Community,

We’ve been listening to all of your feedback on our social and support channels over the last few weeks. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. I’ve spoken with our internal teams and held numerous zoom video meetings with our creators in the Buildbox community to discuss how we can improve.

You spoke, we listened, and came up with a new solution that will benefit both our Buildbox creators and the company.

So, after much consideration, we’re making the following adjustments to the new subscription plans:

• Revenue shares will now ONLY apply to the revenue generated by our upcoming new ad monetization solution.
    • This means we will NOT take a revenue share from other sources of revenue that you make. This includes things like In-App-Purchases, Paid Apps, selling your games, etc.
    • Pro users can also integrate their own custom ad networks, which we will also not take a revenue share from.
    • Lastly, NO Revenue Share will be applied to any games exported before July 1, 2021
    You can view all the new subscription changes on our pricing page.

Our mission at Buildbox is to provide you with the easiest software in the world to make video games without writing code. Also, we work hard to give you a great experience. We appreciate all the honest feedback we’ve received recently. We are taking your suggestions to heart and doing our best to make changes where we can.

All Buildbox Plans include free:

• Mobile export to iOS, Android, and Windows Desktop
    • Unlimited worlds
    • Unlimited scenes
    They also include our new easy ad monetization feature.

With our new easy ad monetization feature available soon in Buildbox 3, monetizing your game will be easier than ever. You can add ads instantly, and then Buildbox takes care of the rest. From ad optimization to payouts! Just add the type of ad you want into your game, set up your Hyperwallet account, and publish it to the app store.

Buildbox will pay you your earned revenue share each month. It’s really that simple and easy. Creators on the Free plan keep 30% of ad revenue, those on the Plus plan keep 70%, and Pro users can add as many custom SDKs as they want for 100% revenue in addition to our ad monetization feature, which allows them to keep 90% of all earned revenue.

Our ad revenue sharing model only applies to Buildbox’s new easy ad monetization feature and does not apply to your app store earnings. Regardless of your chosen plan, you will always keep 100% of the revenue earned through the app store, as well as any custom ad integration used by Pro users.

Other forms of monetization outside of Buildbox’s new easy ad monetization that you wish to implement will not be subject to the revenue share previously mentioned.

You can upgrade to one of our Plus or Pro plans at any time for more earning opportunities, but any game previously published in a given tier will retain the revenue share at which it was originally published.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue to work with you on being more transparent. Again, thank you for being part of our Buildbox community. We’ll be sharing more updates with you very soon!

Talk soon,

Jonathan Zweig
    CEO
    Buildbox

Hue Buildbox, DanteSavy and mshuraih like this.
  2. mshuraih

mshuraih Boxer

thats great news thank u guys

Hue Buildbox and Sean Buildbox like this.
  3. Hussamhay

Hussamhay Boxer

hi,
    Will you also share the profits AdMob ads in Buildbox Classic ?
    When will you solve the problem of the ad appearing once o_O I updated my app and did not find out until after I uploaded the application
    thanx.

4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

This is perfect. At first i was questioning it all. Digging through the terms page. I was like...forcing BB ads is the same thing as last terms. But if you think about it, Previous terms were that if you made 1 million bucks, they automatically get 100k. This new term, If you made 900k...and because ads fail sometimes, their ads generate 100k in your game...they get 10k. Thats 10k vs 100k. thats like 1 percent. So now they take a super TINY amount. You get 990k. This super tiny amount feeds BB. Allows BB to grow faster.

At first i fought this. But logic and reason won me over. Yes, its still forcing devs to pay more money than their pro sub....But its not an amount that will damage you or your business. I want them to make more so i cant say things like "BB should ONLY get my subscription money!" if i wish for them to grow. Sure, its a little unorthodox...But so is BB. Its unique. If only taking our sub money would shoot BB into the future then thats what i would want. But that would only pay the bills as they are now. I want this to be like a kickstarter campaign...where MORE than what they needed was earned

We all have complained that BB is buggy and lacks this or that feature.....Then cry when they make efforts to solve them. This is doing that. If we want a better Buildbox, they need more funds. Period. And this new term is the best we can do. So im on board. After an hour of swinging punches at JZ and Sean....i have seen the light lol. Some of us take BB very personal. So some of us are quick to punch you in the face. This new path solves all problems both sides and is wonderful. I can get excited about BB again!

5. deborahjmossman

deborahjmossman Boxer

@Sean Buildbox
    Does this include Buildbox 2 (classic) I have never heard of you guys taking a revenue share from ad earnings anywhere before?

Thanks

mrqwuyx likes this.
  6. kwinchi

kwinchi Boxer

how about admob ? will it get discontinued after adbox is introduced ?
    this is objectively worst than the previous plans , at least we had a somehow decent threshold now we're paying significantly more rev share
    what did we gain ?
    nobody knows how to use the custom ad feature , it's not even documented
    100% of IAP and sales ? you had no way of claiming a percentage of that to begin with
    what we clearly asked was to make the pro tier worth it , and now it's even worth less

7. mrqwuyx

mrqwuyx Avid Boxer

Hi @Sean Buildbox

What do you mean by New Easy Ad Monetization?? I am not yet clear on this part

Can I still use my Admob and Facebook AD Id's and get a 100% revshare on my game after july 1st if I am a plus or pro subscriber?

Is the Admob and Facebook Ads directly integrated or do we need to add the admob as custom SDK?

Is buildbox have a new ad agency using which you guys are planning to implement New Easy Ad Monetization?

Suppose If I want to use Admob or Facebook ads, do I still need to do it through New Easy Ad Monetization or as a Custom SDK?

If I dont want to use easy monetization of buildbox but only admob or facebook ads, is this possible?

Please put some light on these questions, I am restless and sleepless from the momnet I saw the Revshare policy.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Jaro, kwinchi and Taxus baccata like this.
  8. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

@mrqwuyx Looking at their plan, the answer seems to be no if you are on the Pro plan. If you are on the free plan, you can only place ads through the easy monetization where they have the rev-share. If you are on the plus plan, then its also no if you are only interested in using Admob.
    From what I've gathered, "New Easy Ad Monetization" is advertisement Buildbox will integrate in your games if you want them to. Buildbox seems to have partnered with an adnetwork (AppLovin from what was posted before). They will probably serve ads in games and share revenue with developers through that.

@Sean Buildbox from someone who criticized the original move heavily, I think what you guys have now is great! Unfortunately bad news travels faster than good news, so I hope people that heard the original announcement also learn about this one. The email you guys sent went to the promotion part of the Gmail inbox. I would not have seen it if I wasn't looking for it.

Now, does this mean that people using the free version will be able to create paid apps and keep 100% of the revenue? That would be great for young people that can't afford plus or pro plans!

Hue Buildbox and Sean Buildbox like this.
  9. Sean Buildbox

Admob is not included in revshare. The interstitial issue is being investigated and fixed by the team currently.

Buildbox Classic is included, however once again if you have a Pro plan there is no rev share unless you using our forthcoming new Ad Solution Adbox. Any other ad networks you add on a pro plan are not subject to Revshare.

Admob will still be available in games that already have it included. We will discontinue implementing and updating Admob SDKs once Adbox is launched. You can however integrate via the custom option on Pro as many users currently do along with any other networks you would like. There is a guide found here https://www.buildbox.com/help/buildbox-3-manual/custom-ads/

You can use Admob and Facebook Ads in any game already implemented with them. Any game launched before July 1st does not have revshare period.

Buildbox will have Adbox with select partners if you wish to use it on the Pro plan or you can use custom SDK to integrate whichever networks you would like.

Admob and Facebook ads will be possible via the custom option on the Pro plan going forward.
    Yes, this would be the case now ;)

Hussamhay likes this.
  10. kipasgajah

kipasgajah Boxer

Ok, on Plus plan can use Admob?

11. Sean Buildbox

For games that already use it, yes. Once Adbox launches Free and Plus tiers will need to use Adbox for new games. You can always upgrade to Pro if wishing to not use Adbox however.

12. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

Will Adbox support Amazon?

13. deborahjmossman

deborahjmossman Boxer

When will this be in effect for Buildbox Classic?

14. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Hi, @Sean Buildbox. I just want to clarify. Does this mean this screen still not be in the new Buildbox versions going forward? And we have to manually integrate the ads by following the Ad provider's instructions and manually editing the AdIntegratorInterface.java for Android and CustomAdIntegrator.mm for iOS?

[​IMG]

And I'm curious why the need to discontinue implementing and updating Admob SDKs, even for Pro users.

In my humble opinion, I don't see any benefit in removing the ability to integrate Admob and other Ad networks for Pro users. People are going to be upgrading to Pro specifically so they can implement ad networks like Admob. Removing the advertising screen to put in Admob ad IDs and discontinuing the implementing of Admob SDKs will not make pro users switch to using Adbox. The enforced inconvenience will not make pro users use Adbox especially since 99% of them will be upgrading to Pro specifically to use Admob and the like. Might as well put it back in for Pro users.

Aside from that, many people use Buildbox because of the ease of implementing mobile features like ads right out of the box. It's one of Buildbox's strongest features and what makes it stand out from other game engines in the market. I feel making it in a way that pro users have to manually implement the Ad SDKs really goes against that. Many users specifically use Buildbox to avoid the complicated process of manually adding the Ads. Things like that are scary for some people, which is why they use Buildbox in the first place. But realistically speaking, restricting this old feature will not convince Pro users to give up 10% of their income to use only Adbox. It might only cause resentment, a feeling that Buildbox intentionally isn't making some things easy especially since they used to be able to integrate ads easily, and a feeling that Buildbox is in some ways more complex than other engines especially since plug-ins for easy implementation of mobile ads are available in other engines' marketplaces.

Again, this is just my humble analysis of what could happen, coming from my four or five years as being a member of this community. I really hope this helps. I want Buildbox to succeed as a game engine in this industry. I want to see the people here make more hits using this software. We can navigate these changes to greener pastures, we just all have to work together. Thanks again. Looking forward to the response and clarifications regarding this matter.

wmfear and Marclb like this.
  15. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

I would also like to point out these genuine fears that I have:

If Adbox implements Admob and a Buildbox user implements their own Admob ads, there will be two Admob accounts in the same app. Usually in this case, any or all of these things could happen:
    • Buildbox users might be get blocked by Admob, or might even lose all of their associated Google accounts
    • Ads RPM would get down as for same inventory Two Ads platform are bidding. hence the lowest value.
    • Income would drastically get down, as Two Ad platforms means lowest bid value. Low CPC and Low Ad impression for one Ad Platforms
    There would be two accounts for the same bundle ID in the admob system. Buildbox games created by pro users will have conflicts with the admob app Ids, ad unit IDs, bundle Id associated with admob, and even the app-ads.txt file.

Google algorithms will most likely think the Buildbox users either have two Admob accounts which is not allowed according to their policy, or are playing with their ad networks which could result in mass banning. Either a ban, a red flag for invalid activity, or a low income for both sides. This means, Buildbox pro users might not be able to implement their own ad networks because of these reasons. In my understanding, having both the Adbox and Pro user's admob accounts in the same game would not work.

What could be done to avoid these scenarios?

itzonator, ShinHS and AppNasty like this.
  16. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

@Sean Buildbox This guide is really not helpful. To be honest, and don't take it this personally, this guide is completely worthless. I don't believe that many people are implementing this custom SDKs in Buidlbox 3. In fact, I've not seen any BB3 game that had anything other than Admob.
    I looked at that link sometime ago and couldn't figure out how to implement any other ad. The information in there is not sufficient and doesn't really tell you where to add the new adnetwork in the code. Furthermore, when I contacted support, I got no useful answer. I asked for an example and was given nothing...

I agree with @DariusGuerrero , what is the point of paying for Pro if you guys aren't going to maintaining Admob. If all you will offer is this link for custom SDK, then you are forcing everyone to use your ads.

ShinHS likes this.
  17. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Hmm...I do wonder if ad companies would ban you mow that @DariusGuerrero mentioned it. I always thought you can't put admob ads and another ad co in your games? Or can you? Of so then we should be fine. If not.....then it seems either BB didn't think about that or the plan is to just force AdBox ads and nothing else. I guess that COULD work if AdBox is successful. Unity has Unity Ads. So....

This is good talks from everyone here. Great questions. I think BB wants that. Talk back and forth and lets figure this thing out together.

18. Marclb

Marclb Boxer

You can have as many adnetworks as you want, as long as they are different. You can't however have the same app linked to 2 Admob accounts... that's what he was talking about.
    I don't think that Buildbox has partnered with Admob. I think their custom ads are through AppLovin.

19. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

So that would mean if we used admob...and they detect adbox ads too....that admob would likely ban us?

20. Andrea Coppola

Andrea Coppola Boxer

I appreciated your turnaround, with which you have shown that you know how to question yourself.
    Of course, the fool you have made remains an indelible mark.
    You still have to file to regain our trust, also because, let's face it, Buildbox is nice, but it is not even comparable to professional 3D engines like Unity or UE. It does not want to be, of course, but for this reason the price continues to be exaggerated, even if the Free version is starting to be interesting.
    All the mel market engines are now free or, if paid, cost 1/10 of Buildbox. The Pro version is unapproachable, considering that the Plus version costs much less. Actually the Plus version, in my opinion, doesn't make any sense. You should consider keeping only two bands in the plan: Free (free, but corresponding to the Plus) and Pro (at the price of the plus).
    To this we add that a lot of features have not been implemented, the software is incomplete, sometimes unstable. Well ... it costs as if it were "THE" moans engine par excellence and it is not.
    I advise you to activate a serious technical service. The current one is enormously lacking and few respond to requests for help from the forum, precisely because, basically, the functioning of this software is really for a few. A complete manual is missing, perhaps a book, a video course. The scattered tutorials are useful, but they always deal with the same things: the toy car, the ball, the spaceship ... If anyone had the idea of making a game a little more structured or outside the fixed patterns of the templates, do not it has no chance of moving forward, because no information is found and none of you reply adequately.