Platformer Story Idea

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by SamyakVar, Mar 5, 2021.

1. SamyakVar

SamyakVar Boxer

Hi, so I am trying to create a 2d platformer.
    I have created most of the mechanics (jumping, platforms, double jumping, etc.) but I am kind of stuck with a pretty boring 'no story' game.

Can anyone help me with ideas for a story?
    It would be greatly appreciated!

volcank likes this.
  2. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

Hi, here's a list of helpful videos. Hope this helps you out.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+create+game+stories

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  3. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi @SamyakVar For me if a game has lots of story it gets boring. This is the thing I see especially on Apple Arcade lots of Devs are doing and the moment I see those boring dialogues even in a platformer game (they do this for higher gameplay retention for Apple Arcade) I delete the game immediately. I would rather try to tell the story through the gameplay as they do in games like Inside, Limbo, Little Nightmares, etc. Make the game itself story the puzzles everything. That's how I look at it.

But if you really want to have a story for your game I would first do this which I did when I was writing a script for my short film a long time ago.

Find a mood like what will your game leave to the people after they finish the game like the feeling of it.
    Then give a title to your game a good name.
    Then write the end of the story right away like what happens at the end of the game. Never start the story and try to develop it while creating it, you will never finish it.
    Then start writing down like in bullet points what will happen in the story. Like:
    1-Character wakes up to see he is in the forest.
    2-When he walks he is suddenly interruptedbu by aliens around him.
    3-Finds a gun and starts shooting at them etc etc.

Like Make this a few pages then build this into the game. Add surprises and things in between.

But other then all if your game is boring in terms of gameplay and other things then story also doesn't matter. People will never play it.

Hope it helps.

Jaro likes this.