[feature Request] External Text Editor For Js Script

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Androdev, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Androdev

Androdev Boxer

Hey @TreySmith @Sean Buildbox ,

I was old customer of buildbox but then I switched to Unity3D, I heard about Buildbox 3D free plan so I tried it but there are important key features missing in your script editor and there's no option to connect external text editors like VS or VS Code and buildbox default editor doesn't have IntelliSense. It's my request to add an ability to connect external text editors.

Jay Jennings likes this.
  2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

If you want to request this kind of feature, sending a email to support@buildbox.com is the best option

3. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Boxer

Right now I'm writing code in Visual Studio Code and then pasting it into the Bbox code editor. While that's a bit of a hassle, I'd rather see The Guy work on things other than the code editor. (NoCode, after all.)

However, being able to use an external editor seamlessly, such as in Unity, would be ideal. There are Intellisense packs for VS Code and I'm going to look at how easy it would be to tweak an existing Javascript version to include Bbox pieces. If anybody else is into that kind of thing and wants to help, let me know!

4. Blackbird Games Studio

Blackbird Games Studio Boxer

Hi @Jay Jennings I was playing around with BB2 in 2019 but in 2020 I am planning to use BB3 and perhaps start publishing some small/mini games, I was going through the forum and came across your thread so wanted to ask you is JS used in BB3 the native JS we use normally in web based projects or something else as I am going to learn JS along the way while learning BB3 so was wondering if you can shed some light here since you are using it already? Also what would be the best resource to learn JS (I have development background already but I believe I don't need to learn everything about JS to be able to use it in BB3)

Thanks

5. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Boxer

Howdy @Ayman -- the code in BB3 appears to be plain vanilla Javascript. Of course, it allows access to the BB3 API, but the language itself is just Javascript.

I've been programming for so long I don't recall when/how I learned Javascript. I haven't looked at the course myself:
    https://www.codecademy.com/learn/introduction-to-javascript
    ...but CodeAcademy has a good rep and that course is free, so you may want to try that. Some of the later lessons (9 and on) will have little relevance to coding in BB3, but the first half of the course will probably be valuable.

Good luck!

Jaro likes this.
  6. Blackbird Games Studio

Blackbird Games Studio Boxer

7. jmp909

jmp909 Boxer

TypeScript support with a definition file for the API would be nice.

ideally scripting would be based on external files and bbdoc would be eg xml based so collaborative diffing is potentially possible