I Need Advice On Starting A Game Publishing Company

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Mrsi, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Mrsi

Mrsi Boxer

@TreySmith (or anyone else), I was wondering if you have any advice or knowledge that you would be willing to give me on starting my own game publishing company. I am 17 years old and have been experimenting with marketing and e-commerce for about a year and a half now and found Buildbox about 3 months ago. I've been playing around with it and have made a couple of small games so far. There is obviously potential for game publishing companies as I have watched many successful ones grow in popularity over the past few months, so I just need to get started.

Thank you all in advance,
    -Matthew

2. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

Hey Mathew! To start your own company you must have atleast 1 commercial project. To achieve success you must games must be great. Study game design and learn more about it. Gather more experience. Only then you can start your own company.

Don't take it otherwise. :)

Mrsi likes this.
  3. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

To be honest I would avoid it and just concentrate on making the best games you can. Big publishers have millions of dollars of revenue and massive social media reach to be able to push games and you have no chance of being able to compete with that. Not being negative, just realistic.

Mrsi and CyCo Dev like this.
  4. mrcarson

mrcarson Boxer

Yeah, until you have some successful hit titles under your belt, I'd stick with development for now, and move into publishing later, once you have made a name for yourself, and have acquired a following.

Mrsi likes this.