Android Studio Mini-tutorial

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andy, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I'm sure @ZackGriset will create a video for Android Studio, but until then hopefully, this will help you get your games onto your devices for testing.

1) You may need to Update Java JDK. The latest would be fine.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

2) Download and install Android Studio
    https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

3) Plug in your device via USB.

4) Start Android Studio. It should prompt to download some updates. Go ahead and accept the defaults.

5) Go to Configure -> SDK Manager. Install Android 8.0 (API 26).

6) OPEN a new project (do not IMPORT). Select the android directory inside the export. Wait a minute or two for the project to sync. If you get any errors click on the link to install additional packages. I was prompted to install “Build Tools 26.0.2” as an example.

7) Wait a few more minutes. Install any additional updates if you are prompted.

8) Wait a few more minutes…. if needed.

9) Now you should be clear to run (green triangle pointing to the right in the application menu bar). You may get prompted to install more packages related to your device.

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

@Andy can people still use Eclipse if they wish to? I use an emulator to test my games on, as its just much faster and easier to create an apk drag/drop into Bluestacks - test.

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Is this needed to work with Android Studio? If yes, I guess I finally need to buy an Android device.

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

For now the Amazon export is still Eclipse... but I'd expect Eclipse support to disappear completely. You can still create an APK with Android Studio, so I'm not sure your losing anything here.

Technically no.... but Android virtual devices are horrible in my experience. I would not plan to use them at all. Just get a cheap device.

5. Jumpingu

Jumpingu Boxer

If you want to have a better experience with virtual android devices, try installing x86 emulators using SDK Manager.
    I haven't tried a Buildbox export yet, but it's from previous experience with android.
    Unlike Xcode, Android virtual devices are emulators, not simulators, so CPU instructions need to be translated before being run. If you use x86 emulators, you will have a better performance, because instructions will run natively on the actual CPU.

goingnova and ZackGriset like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Good to know. I'll have to look into this further. I was surprised because I've used IntelliJ before for mobile apps and the simulators were really nice. I was hoping this was brought to Android Studio since it's based on IntelliJ. I'll admit though I haven't look too hard at it yet.

7. bioded

bioded Boxer

8. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Hey Everybody! Yeah, I'll be making a video walking you through using Android Studio ASAP! So keep an eye out for it :)

Ken masters and Deliverbo like this.
  9. SpencerKMcGee

SpencerKMcGee Boxer

Any estimate as to when we can expect that?

10. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

I don't have an exact date yet. Sometime later this week or next week for sure though. :)

Gbello97 likes this.
  11. SpencerKMcGee

SpencerKMcGee Boxer

Did anyone else run into this problem and know how to solve it. I clicked build, generate signed APK and then it ran and come up with 23 errors all based around chartboost

upload_2017-12-19_21-6-53.png

12. bioded

bioded Boxer

i get another errors, cant get it works

13. SpencerKMcGee

SpencerKMcGee Boxer

I somewhat figured it out, I had to change the advertiser from chartboost which doesn't really solve the issue but I was able to re export from buildbox and then open it in android studio and build the APK

14. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

So I got android studio running and exported it to my phone without errors BUT the game crashes as soon as it starts and says “game has stopped working” on the phone :/ any fix ?

Leora Solutions likes this.
  15. mrsirosh

mrsirosh Boxer

I don't understand this step. Can you please help me with this?

16. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

How much longer Man? This is critical. It’s been 2 weeks. I can’t update my android version because the game keeps crashing.

sir_freddy likes this.
  17. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

You always have to work delicately with the new versions
    Anyway, when there are new versions, you always have to perform tests, never work on final versions until you are completely sure to check that everything works.

18. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

@Gbello97, we found something that needed to be fixed so there has been a bit of a delay. Can you please send me your bbdoc to zachary@buildbox.com? I want to test it out and I can personally look it over for you. The video will be ready in a few days, but I can take a look at your issue today or tonight.

Gbello97 likes this.
  19. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

I appreciate the effort, but I don’t feel comfortable sending over my project. I will have to wait it out I guess.

20. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

Isn’t that the Buildbox teams job? To beta test before release? Lmao. How would I know they have a bug in exporting.... I’m not trying to be mean I love the program and I give credit to you guys, but don’t tell me to work “delicate” when I pay for software to be used the way it’s said to be. It’s not cheap. We are taking $1,000 man. I understand there’s always bugs and stuff, but at least test it out before release and make a video tutorial for everyone so we can see how to export. There is no support or tutorial to show how to do android export on 2.3.1. Everyone is having issues. The tutorial previously is outdated and doesn’t work anymore.

With that being said I should downgrade to 2.2.8 and never upgrade is what you are saying?

Ken masters, icatt23 and KidApp like this.