Crossy Road, Ads, IAP, and Monetisation

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by dan_counsell, Sep 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dan_counsell

dan_counsell Avid Boxer

This talk from the recent GDC on how the guys from HipsterWhale made Crossy Road is well worth watching: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021897/Crossy-Road-A-Whale-of

I would love to see BuildBox implement some of the IAP and ad viewing mechanics that Crossy Road has. I think the way they handle IAP, rewards, and ads is much nicer that what's currently possible with BuildBox.

The "End Screen Banners (17:41)" part and onwards is very interesting.

2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Great talk, thanks for the link @dan_counsell. My fave takeaway was, showing random stuff on the end screen so the user doesn't become blind to the same monotonous buttons - superb idea. How can we hack that into BB?

Wings n Armor likes this.
  3. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

4. Florian Porkert

Florian Porkert Boxer

Now that's one of the best videos you can watch. With Buildbox we already have the possibility to show a video reward button each x times to earn coins. And you can use a "random unlock button".
    Again we can see the power of new main characters. Even before Crossy Road was optimized for it, 20% of the revenue came from IAPs. From users who directly bought a main character for 99 cents. If we could combine this for Buildbox, unlock characters via "random unlock button" (using coins) or unlock a specific main character via IAP at the same time, we could increase the revenue again. In this case it would be better to show the price of each character directly on a purchase button. The prices for each region according to the Tier can be taken from the official Apple server easily. I had done this for one of my games before (Bird Duel). Maybe this would be a nice feature for Buildbox 2.0?

5. alain_grignon

alain_grignon Boxer

I remember back in the days of Project Mahem, they had Neo Cortex that allowed you to customize adds by having a list on a server which could even include your own rebranding adds. Having this functionality in BB would open up possibilities like this and get creative with ads within the interface.

Alain Grignon
    zHeroez Founder

6. TMac

TMac Boxer

In case you didn't get to watch, I would highly recommend. Two guys from Australia.....10 million revenue in first 90 days.

7. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

This is worth a number of watches. Notes will be taken on my next watch.

8. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

Can you explain how to set this function up. " x times to earn coins "