Scene labels for testing...

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by heathclose, Mar 29, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on adding labels to scenes so that those who test the game can better communicate where exactly in a game something could be improved or is broken...

Helpful?
    Annoying?
    Good idea?
    Bad idea?
    Would apple approve an app with these for use in testflight?
    Unnecessary?

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Not sure if it is the beta testers responsibility to check if your scenes are working or not. A normal beta tester wouldn't even understand what that means. In my opinion, beta testers are here to see if your game works in general. If the physics feel good, if they understand how to play, if they get hooked up or not, if they understand the story, if they like the design, etc. The more technical things you ask, the worse will the beta testing be for these other, general questions.

Looking at the video and at the game scene indications, it seems that your scenes are all very, very short. Wouldn't it be much better for you to design them longer? I think it is impossible to make a (good) level design the way you do it.

3. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I originally put them in for my self but was wondering if they would be beneficial to testers... Thanks for your thoughts on beta tester roles and scene length design..

Anyone else?

4. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

If it's only for beta tester's i would defenetly say it's helpful, but it's also hard work at the same time ,if you have to do that for 100+ level's or world's ..
    Regarding the game itself i like it ,i would just get the +1 coin pop up to not show ,and would add a few more enemies on the map itself therefore making it slightly harder but a bit more interesting. :)

5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I used such things, I just found quite difficult to maintain the labels. You duplicate a scene and it is already an extra job to make sure the scane name is unique, and now you also need to make sure the label always matches with the name. With a BuildBox support it would be better - we only have a UI label type for the Start scene name, not the current one...
    EDIt: Otherwise it is a very good idea, as I have mentioned already I used it for my own too