Game Like Sky

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by kodagames, Jul 9, 2016.

1. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Hello,

Im trying to create a game like Sky and was wondering what this orange box is in the attached image?
    Thanks!

GameLikeSky.png

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

This seems to be a transparent action which would make sense because after each portal the direction of the gameplay changes. Just a guess though.

3. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

i think its a non action when character collide with it / it make a blue light as the character just follow the path so I don't think there is any action that Chang direction.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  4. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@Christoph
    You are a genius!!! Thank you.
    For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was but ahh "transparency" :D

It's a transparent Action, to change the direction of the character (because the image direction property on the path makes it look wonky), Which Is Awesome! Very effective trick.

@wesam_badr
    Blue Light Special! would work as well :D Thank You.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. aoune_l

aoune_l Boxer

@kodagames where did u get the template ? i guess the best way to learn Buildbox is to explore games templates

6. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Unfortunately its not a template its a screen shot from BB website :) But it does let me see whats going on :D

7. zamil.grover

zamil.grover Boxer

any tutorial on SKY type game making or template ? Yeas, you have already discussed about no template but still agree on the point of exploring sample demo or template of BB games. @kodagames and @wesam_badr looking for the help :D
    Thank you btw.... invitation for may ice cream :D one day ...we could explore pokemon by taking ice cream :D (y)

8. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Hi, don't know if u tried it but after many many emails with support and after putting the actions in the right place, I hate to tell you that it's not going to work. it will work by changing the direction and also by changing the animation but once you jump the animation will go back to default meaning, if for example you have an animation like they do in sky of player turning to the left, once you jump the animation will go back to what it was before the action. They have used a feature that is got to do with the path and not an action, and that feature is not yet available (despite it being advertised as if it was done with BB )

9. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

It is an action with no image, or image set to zero opacity, and is used for the sound effect when hit.
    If you play the game, when you go through the tent/tunnel whatever it is, it makes a sound.
    So ad a action with image set to zero opacity, and a sound file.
    If you want to that is.
    It has nothing to do with direction. Only for sound effect. and maybe the blue light. which would be in action animation.

10. playsgames6666

Also the game can be made in bb2, their are a few templates going around on the markets for sale.

11. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@playsgames6666
    Do you have any links to those templates?

@eyal
    Why would they do such a thing? (I don't put it past them though, they like using features not available to their customers or at least they did in the past). I did use transparent actions to change the direction one for facing left and one for facing right (which works great).
    I am having difficulty figuring out how to solve the Jump issue (currently using a action button as a Jump).

I believe Ghost Jump might do the trick to move the collider out of the way (for a jump) but I can't figure out how to connect the ghost jump to to a button. The "Event" drop down is set to none in the ghost jump setting properties. Does anyone know how to enable ghost jump with a button?

If I can figure this out (with the help of these awesome boxers) I may put together a little free tutorial???

12. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

again, yes the jump is ghost jump and I can explain to you what to do - BUT the moment it will jump, the animation will go back to what it was before you took the action so for example, if u turned right and the animation changed to right animation, then once u jump, it will go back to straight animation !!!!

13. playsgames6666

14. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@eyal Thanks for taking the time to explain, Im going to keep trying work arounds until something works, if you could explain how to link a button to the ghost jump that would be fantastic!

@playsgames6666 Thank You and Greatly Appreciated!