Buildbox 2.3.3 Is Live!

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andy, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Hey guys,

Buildbox 2.3.3 is live. It is available via auto-update and direct download from the official links in your license email.

NOTES:

Starting with 2.3.0, files from newer versions of Buildbox will not load into older versions of Buildbox.

We've fixed some old legacy issues with the deletion thresholds. In most instances, you will not see a difference, but the tolerances are tighter now which means you should be able to reduce the thresholds in most instances and possibly increase your game performance. It's possible for some game rotations you might need to make some small adjustments to existing games. Let us know of any situations where you might be adversely affected by this.

The setting for UI nodes "Stop BGM on Death" preserves the classic behavior that is no longer possible now that we have a close animation.

You can now have access to scores from the code for use with 3rd party SDKs like analytics. The usage will be described in the Game Analytics document that @ZackGriset is updating and will be available soon.

Changelog
    Code:
    added: automated crash reporting for Windows app
    added: option to stop BGM at death
    added: ability to copy groups
    added: allow access to scores (PTPScoreController.h)
    fixed: imported graphics being deleted from project
    fixed: score label displayed if layered under background
    fixed: not able to properly set controller keys is settings
    fixed: scene editor snap grid not restricted to scene editor
    fixed: Android share not displaying screenshot
    fixed: moving objects with arrows not snapping in just one axis
    fixed: Win export not saving unlocks
    fixed: not showing character after unlock
    fixed: sounds not being removed from BBDOC
    fixed: issues with action sounds
    fixed: multiple objects not pasted together in layers
    fixed: HeyZap reward issues
    fixed: issue with deletion thresholds and window dimensions

As usual feel free to report any issues here. If you want the quickest support please email support@buildbox.com as we always prioritize issues that come in through the support email.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

Great. good improvements

3. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Wasn't the taking damage animation SFX going to be fixed in this one? Or is it part of the: fixed: issues with actions sounds?

volcank likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Also:
    Object layering after copying linked objects
    Has this been taken care of? I still have layering issues, the order seem to be correct in the hierarchy list, but not while playing in preview.

swiftcurrent and volcank like this.
  6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I'm not sure how long this has been an issue, but Portals aren't working in 2.3.2 or 2.3.3.
    I've got 2 portals no more than 200 pixels away and it places the character in the completely wrong location.

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
    You cannot open a file in 2.3.2 after you opened/saved it in 2.3.3. So going back is NOT possible !!!!

AaroArts likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This is complicated and it's not clear that this is an actual issue and not a conflict related to the physics engine in your case. I will speak to the programmers about it and see if we can get to some resolution if the fixes in this release did not help address it.

I have not seen a specific instance where there is a difference between the editor and preview. Can you provide an example?

I believe I do remember a mention of this on the forum previously, did you communicate any example to support? I found an older issue going back about a year ago that I will check out. It had to do with multiple portals with different ids that were too close to each other. I'm not sure if that was your issue or not.

Yes, we've run into some odd issues when files have been moved back and forth multiple times between older and newer versions. We will be more clear about this and provide a warning in future releases when an old file is loaded. Best practice is to make a backup before loading your game into a new version of the software.

9. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

For what it's worth not encountered any problems at all in copying and pasting. Or grouped copy/paste either. Everything seems to be working fine in that regard including copying from one scene pasting exactly in the same co-ords in another scene. Everything looks good :)

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I published in the old thread 2.3.2 with a video example and a sample bbdoc. I sent the same file as well directly to support. This new version hasn't resolved anything. It behaves exactly the same and you easily can check this yourself with the files provided. I'm surprised @ZackGriset told me 2 weeks ago that this was going to be fixed in this version and I see now that it hasn't been taken care of. Very confusing and tbh having you saying now that this is a physic engine problem rather than taking damage sfx doesn't help much @Andy. I mean it's clearly a bug. Does it mean it can't be fixed and it is a limitation of the software? If so, why not communicate it in the first place? I was literally waiting 3 weeks for this bugfix until I couldn't wait any longer and had to submit my game to Voodoo without it. It's one of those moments where I think I shouldn't even take the time to report bugs in the first place.

I for sure can.
    Edit:
    First problem is that the characters position is not recognized. So when you copy elements in front and behind the character, the character gets moved out of it's position.
    Edit 2:
    Actually, when opening my game in 2.3.3 my character is now moved to the top position in the hierarchy. Is this related to the fixes for layering? I think it's the only thing left now that confused me with the preview not showing what it should. But once I move the character in all my scenes to the correct place it seems it's working as it should.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    adrogdesigns likes this.
  11. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

this is good. Helps prevent use from "OLD" BB when i update all my free bbdocs. [we all know what that means] lol doin mah part.

12. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

I though that only happened with the previous version perior to 2.2.9 so that’s very annoying

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

As long as we are aware of it I don't think it's a problem. Sometimes it was nice to switch between versions. For example right now I still used 2.3.2 Amazon export to make a quick build in Eclipse. It seems this is now somehow broken in 2.3.3 so I wanted to go back and immediately got notified that it wasn't possible. I guess I have now finally to figure out how Android Studio works. Just can't the damn APK to load the game on device/simulator. I guess I have to hire @jcalle. :)

I mentioned this to Zack in a private conversation but thought I would mention it here as well to see if others have similar issues:
    Layering Issue with Character Death Objects:
    When you put an object (physics or platform) into the death animation and spawn it, when you die, this object gets put at the very top of the hierarchy. It doesn't respect the original position of the character. For the rest of layering issues I think they are fixed now but will report back if I come across anything else.

comicsmathias and jcalle like this.
  14. Hoodle

Hoodle Boxer

Can BB for Mac export to exe file?

15. Jonathan Benson

Jonathan Benson Boxer

On valentines Day,
    the only date i got, ...... is buildbox update ;)

ZackGriset, Bilz636 and Wapps1 like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Straight up, we just could not get to it, some issues took longer than expected and we ran out of time. We did not forget about it. I also didn't mean to give the impression that it is not a bug or we're not going to try to address it. I'm just meaning it does not appear to be simply just a taking damage animation issue, there are other factors in play here, including physics. I don't yet have a full understanding of why it's happening.

17. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

So far so good over here :D

18. Member_Game

Member_Game Boxer

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  19. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

All objects being copied/duplicate appear above the last object selected. I'm not sure if this addresses what you are saying. I do see one small issue with layer still if you include the character in the selection, the placement of layers is slightly off. Will document that and fix.

I haven't seen this yet (it should not happen)... but if you have a before 2.3.3 example that we can check that would be awesome.

20. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

@Andy @TreySmith, should contract @Christoph as an expert in testing and debugging in Buildbox.
    @Christoph You have to send your CV to BB

swiftcurrent and comicsmathias like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.