Android Studio Mini-tutorial

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Andy, Dec 12, 2017.

1. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, I understand your anger, we are seeing new flaws in each version of BB, and with each version is a Russian roulette.
    I am sure that they carry out tests with the new versions, but there are many possible combinations that they can not test, it is a pity that there are always serious failures in the new versions.
    However, the Beta versions are for testing the Software, but I believe that users should not find such obvious flaws in these versions.

The Administrators always indicate to make backups before using the new versions of BB, but many times we only see the failures when we have finished our project in the new version of BB, and we find all those failures that make us unable to finish our game.

I have not currently exported to Android with BB 2.3.1, but if you want, I can help you through Teamviewer (PM).

2. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

No problem! I totally understand :) Just thought I'd offer.

Gbello97 likes this.
  3. bioded

bioded Boxer

Its so funny to pay 100$ per months when there is no export: android studio with errors, and there is no exe file in win export and steam, at least BB team must return money for unworkable software or make VERY good discount...

Ken masters and Gbello97 like this.
  4. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

I appreciate your help. I think it’s an issue with 2.3.1 just like Zach mentioned. We just have to wait it out unfortunately. Thank you for understanding and listening. I appreciate it guys.

5. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Okay everybody, I just posted a video showing how to test your games on Android devices using Android Studio. I think this will help most of you, however, if you still are having issues, please email support@buildbox.com and we will sort it out. :) I will be making another video on how to do Heyzap Mediation with Android studio soon. Keep an eye out for it!

DariusGuerrero and AndyG like this.
  6. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Alright! Good work Zack!

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Can I have different Java versions installed on my Mac? Maybe make another account with Java 1.8 and another with only 1.7 or is this a system wide install? I still need 1.7 for Eclipse and Buildbox 2.2.9 exports, but need now Java 1.8 for all exports related to Buildbox 2.3.1... any suggestions?

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I'm fairly certain later versions of Java 1.8 work with 2.2.9 as well. Check the Builbox/Eclipse video that Zack did.

Christoph likes this.
  9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I installed the latest Java and was finally able to build the APK, nonetheless, when I install it on a emulator or even if I run the project within Android Studio Emulator (Nexus_5X_API_27_x86:5554) the app crashes as soon as it loads (or better said, it doesn't open the app at all, not even starts loading). Anyone had this error and knows how to resolve?

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

So trying to make this work, I suddenly was thinking:
    where do I place the KEY in Android Studio? I can make an APK but it never asks me to create a KEY. In Eclipse I had to make a KEY that was at least 25 years available. Also it gave me all those certificates. But Android Studio doesn't give me anything of that. Any help?

11. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

@Christoph , You can always ask me for help.

Christoph likes this.
  12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Haha, I know. :) Thanks.

jcalle likes this.
  13. whencut999

whencut999 Boxer

i am new to buildbox but from past 3 days i wasted my time for building apk unsigned apk works fine but

i cant build a signed apk with android studio the app is crashing can some one help me please

Ken masters likes this.
  14. s27565761

s27565761 Boxer

anyone knows why I stuck on start screen using bb2.3.3 and android studio?

Ken masters likes this.
  15. s27565761

s27565761 Boxer

solved, forgot to save old 2.28 files to a new 2.33 files..

Ken masters and ZackGriset like this.
  16. bowles

bowles Boxer

Hey Zack, I know this thread is a few months old but I've just gotten back into game building mode (I've been out for a while on other projects). I'm still using the last version of BB1 and I know there is not too much support for that anymore and the answer to my question probably won't help that many people but how would I used the android export file from BB1 and Android studio to make the APK file? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Ken masters likes this.
  17. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Oh wow man, blast from the past! lol I don't think BB1 will work with Android Studio at all because it doesn't generate the build.gradle files you need. I mean, you might be able to make it work. I think I saw a few tutorials online of people trying to do it, but I wouldn't try it. It just seems like a headache to me if you're going to try it that way. I would use Eclipse and follow the eclipse tutorials available. Also, why are you using BB1 still? Why not upgrade to BB2? We have new price plans and we got ride of contracts. You should be able to find something that works for you. It's totally up to you, but you do have a few other options out there now. :)

Ken masters likes this.
  18. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Did you manage to resolve this @Christoph ? I've tried to build my first game using Android Studio - followed the tutorial above. Managed to include my key etc. I managed to build the apk - offered two V1/V2 export options (tried both). Neither of them produce a working apk, despite downloading everything, including a batch of SDKs down to 2.3!

19. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yeah, I installed Android Studio from scratch and then it worked. Somehow the setup got messed up or corrupted I guess. I'm on a Mac so I googled how to completely de-install Android Studio. Do the same so you really start from scratch. Then install without adding anything, then just open a APK and it will automatically prompt you to install what is needed. Just say yes to everything. This way the setup should be exactly how Buildox needs it.
    Tbh though, I don't know if the compatibility is with all devices. Haven't released a game yet. Only test APKs. For example in my simulator (Droid4X) the APKs do not install. They do install on the device of my wife and the device of my business partner. So who knows what the problem is. My Eclipse exports always worked on the simulator too.

ZackGriset and spicedbeangames like this.
  20. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Ah ok, thanks. I was testing on an emulator. I will try my tablet and see. I installed a bunch of stuff and updates, as it was a fresh install. The only thing I had already were lots of SDKs that I use with Unity.